Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oh, the weather outside is... getting better!


Wow! What a week so far. It started on Monday afternoon and I left work early. I called Boyd to see where he was (his school let out at 1:00 p.m.) and he was at his dad's. When I got there he showed me our new baby calf. Of course one was born during the beginning of the nasty weather. We tried to get them set up pretty good for the night with shelter. We made it home and then sleet and ice started. We didn't lose electricity the first night thank goodness. I thought we might.

Then on Tuesday it was still so nasty and still sleeting. My brother came and got us in his four wheel drive truck and took us up to check on the cows and baby calf. He/she made it though the night and we were surprised so we named the calf "Stormy". It was doing really good and it has a really good momma. Then we went home and played games for a while. Then Tuesday evening I was laying in bed, trying to keep warm, and reading a book. Boyd came in and checked on me and all of the sudden the lights went out. Oops!! So I lit all the candles I had and it gave us a little light. The potatoes I had in the crockpot though was a waste of time. Boyd went and got his old lantern and lit it. We do have a little propane heater that Boyd hasn't used in years, but it worked. I was scared of the carbon monoxide but he called my dad and he wasn't worried. I thought we might end up in heaven at the same time by morning!!! But we made it through the night fine. We had a make-shift bed in the living room by the heater. And we still had our cook stove.

The next morning I got up around 6:30 a.m. and called my mom. (Yes, my dear husband still has a rotary dial phone, so we had a phone still.) I went outside to feed the animals and there was Jason Crouch (a guy from our church) on the pole in our field. By the time I got through feeding, our electricity was on. Jason has now become my hero, but don't tell him! ha!! So first thing we did was turn on the t.v. to see what was going on. Then called my brother and he came and got us AGAIN. We went and fed and "Stormy" was still going strong. When we got back home we cleaned off our cars. Man did that take a while. We hadn't messed with them since Monday might so it seemed like forever trying to get things thawed enough to remove all the ice. We played some more games and I'm sorry to say the whole time we were playing, I NEVER one a game. Boyd says I'm a violent opponent. I was mocking him and throwing my pen at him. I was even keeping score, and I still lost! ha!! That evening I went for a walk but man it's hard to walk in the ice/snow, so I decided to see if I could get around in my HHR. I did a pretty good job, but didn't venture to far off. I was kind of chicken. I went back inside and walked my mile in the comfort of my living room. Gotta love "Walk Away the Pounds"! ha!

So today, I made it in to work with no problem. The road was still pretty slick, but there were patches of pavement so my HHR went pretty good. It's been a busy day, but that always makes the day go by faster.

Trinity update: As I was saying/whining on Monday afternoon, the doctor had given Trinity a new medication and well, it cleaned her little system out really good and then again yesterday. So maybe this is what she was needing. I pray this helps her and she can get back to normal. Thanks for all your prayers for her. Well, I better close this for now. Take Care and have a good night!!

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering how you guys were doing! Sounds like you got in some quality time and maybe even a little R & R.

    I'm so glad to hear about Trinity! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete